Monday 9 April 2012



Making fabric 


As anyone who has read my blog before knows, I have a slight obsession with jewellery and accessories. I've always loved the idea of going to university specifically to study a lingerie/accessory design course but never have pursed it for various different reasons.
Recently I was flipping through a prospectus on creative courses at De Montfort university  when I came across there accessories/textiles course. It looked amazing and if it was closer to me and didn't cost as much I would definitely apply for the course. It inspired me to want to have a go at designing some of my own fabrics to make accessories from.


So last week I thought I would have a go at designing some fabric :) 
I decided to use calico as its plain and is really easy to work on. If you wanted to make a bag from the  design its also good fabric to use. I printed some basic stencils off the internet of a heart, flower, bird and Russian doll. You could draw free hand if you wanted to, but I wanted mine to be symmetrical so I decided to use a stencil.  The pencil I used was a 5B pencil. If you read this and fancy a go I would recommend using a B pencil as opposed to a HB pencil as they are especially designed for shading and so make it a lot easier to draw on the fabric.


Using fabric spray paint I then sprayed the fabric pink and sprinkled heat embossing gold glitter over it while it was still wet. Once it was dry I then sewed over the hearts with gold thread. I quite like the way it turned out. These are just fabric samples but I thought it might look nice as a shopper bag.



This is the second one I made with a bird stencil.






The dream catcher is one of my favourites. I drew this free hand as I only wanted one. I think it would look really nice on a plain shopper bag for summer.










I love the Russian Dolls I think they look really sweet :)

love and kisses 

x x x x

4 comments:

  1. Aww these are super cute! I wish I was creative enough to make things like this!
    Claudia xxx
    www.claudiakitten.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. These samples remind me of my textile days at college, I sometimes wish I had pursued that path too, I always felt I was more creative without the restraints of being on a course though.
    You always make such lovely and inspiring things xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice post! I love the russian dolls :) x

    ReplyDelete