Thursday 17 May 2012


Fragile Icon 



I saw a really cute pair of floral printed shorts in work a couple of weeks a go in the sale for £15. I really liked them but I didn't really want to pay that much for shorts that were in the sale. I don't know why I just thought it was kind of expensive and with the not so summery weather we've been having recently I just figured they would most likely just in my wardrobe and not get much use so it would be a waste of money. But you know how it is when you reeeeallly like something..............so I decided to see if I could make something similar :)


You will need:
An old pair of jeans
Fabric scissors
Pretty fabric (doesn't have to be floral)
Pins
Tweezers
Needle and thread
Stamp and ink (optional)


The first thing you will need to do is measure how short you want your shorts to be. You can sketch a rough line using pencil if you want to, or do what I did, which was to get a pair of shorts I already had and line them up with the jeans to use as a guide line. If you do this you will need pins to pin the shorts in place whilst you cut your jeans.
*Note - make sure your shorts are the same style as your jeans if you choose to use them as a guide. Otherwise you could be measuring high waist-ed shorts against low rise jeans and your length will be out*


Once you have cut your jeans and tried them on to make sure you happy with the length begin fraying. I used jewellery tweezers but you could use ordinary ones, or a razor blade or a craft knife if you have one. Obviously mind your fingers if you go for the latter two :)



Fraying in process......You might want to stick 
your i pod on whilst you do this.......you will be here a while


Next cut a square from your chosen fabric. Doesn't have to be to neat as you will be sewing this under the shorts and know one will notice if the edges aren't perfect :)


Take your fabric scissors and pinch the fabric between your fingers where you want the patch to be, and make a small cut. Then cut out a rectangle shape. Be careful you don't cut through the lining of the pocket otherwise your pocket will be no use to you :)


Slide your fabric underneath the rectangle you have made and trim it to fit


Take your needle and thread and begin sewing the patch to the shorts. I sewed from the inside of the pocket so that the stitches wouldn't be visible from the outside. Be careful that you don't sew the pocket together when you do this :)


This is an optional step and you don't have to do it if you don't want to. Take your stamper and stamp your design on to your shorts. Remember to use water proof ink or it will wash off.


I also frayed the edge of the square on the pockets.




Voila :)

love and kisses

x x x x 

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for your comment on my blog, love those shorts, I am now following you :) great post.

    http://heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this i am for sure going to try - thank you for the nice comments on my blog
    Www.lifeisjustrosie.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you a bunch for commenting on my bloggg :DD wow those shorts turned out so well, you're so crafty!

    Rebecca x
    scatterrbrained.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look so nice! great DIY post x

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the comment :) great diy! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous shorts, I love the way you've designed them all yourself xxx

    ReplyDelete